With the announcement that Salesforce is buying Buddy Media for a cool 800 million. I’m set off thinking that maybe, just maybe, someone at Salesforce wants to create a more social CRM. At least I hope so.
This could be really exciting.
Take their purchase of Radian6 last year, where they now have the ability to listen across Twitter, Facebook and blogs to see who is talking about any product, how influential they are, and what the general sentiment of those messages seem to be.
And now with the addition of Buddy Media, you could target Facebook and Twitter ad spends and specific content to user groups based on their engagement. Your content will be better due to their suite of social apps.
Here’s what I’d do:
- Segment users based on their social media activity and engagement with the brand within your company’s CRM
- Segment customers based on what they are sharing in social, not just what they are buying/browsing
- Find the most influential people tweeting about your brand, target them with special offers on Twitter. Do this for every social channel.
- Invite the most influential people to a special loyalty program. Sharing of content related to your company keeps you in the club.
- Hold contests within social channels that incentivize sharing. Prizing: test out products before anyone else.
- Invite bloggers/pinners/tumblrs to collaborate on branded projects, then advertise in social channels
- Track what social channels your customers are engaging in, what they’re saying, then advertise and create content in those channels
- Email your socially engaged users incentives to share, and email them with similar products to what they’re sharing